Thursday, September 18, 2008

Night.

Okay, for english class I had to read the book 'Night' by Elie Wiesel, a holocaust survivor. This book was not as powerful as I thought it would be. Many people I know that have read this book overrate it too much. I expected something much more epic that would actually make me at least be close to tear up. I mean, I know that the holocaust was a horrible thing, but this book does not really describe it too well. I thought it was fucked up how his father died in the end though. I mean, this book would be very emotional, but for the weak-hearted. This book wasn't really so bad, but I expected better. I thought about how hard life must have been for them. They wished to die. They were living in hell. All of their people were being killed. In the Auschwitz concentration camp(one of the worst camps to be in btw) there was sign that said "Work is freedom" or something among those words. What that really meant was that working meant you were still alive. It meant you were not sent to be burned alive or get shot by a nazi. In the book, Elie said that they believed in Hitler because Hitler seemed to be fulfilling all of his promises which were killing the Jewish, gypsies, homosexuals etc. This book was okay, but I still wanted a bit more. I wanted to know more about life in the concentration camp, since it was a survivor writing the book. Eh, i'll give this book a 7.5/10

2 comments:

Alin Linderman said...

Nice Post

Kathy said...

Grawr, read that in 8th grade, and the only thing I remember about it is when that little boy got hanged, but slowly died of suffocation instead of getting his neck snapped >.>