Thursday, January 22, 2009

Away.

Alright so first I'll give an update to the Japan thing. Alright so the program is called "Experiment in International Living" and like I mentioned before [I think] during the summer I'll be sent away for about a month or so staying in another country with a different family and basically be a "experimentee." Depending on the type of program you choose for the country you choose, you end up doing different things and for some countries there are pre-requisites. For example, for Japan, if I go then I can only choose the learning language, traveling part of the program since it does not have a pre-requisite, but I'm sure it will be very fun. The other part is like where you learn how to do anime/manga, which I would have totally picked if it wasn't for the 1 year Japanese pre-requisite x.x. Oh well I still want to go to Japan. So for the application they gave me I have to get a bunch of stuff done. I have to get a physical from a doctor, get a teacher reccomendation, write my parent's interests, my own interests and clubs I'm participating in. That part will affect me a bit considering I haven't been to neither of the clubs I'm supposed to be in for well over a month now. Aside from that I have to write a 'Dear Family' letter in which I write about myself to the family I will be staying with in case I do go and I will also have to write 2 esssays. Now they told me about the essays before and I began speculating as to what the questions might be, but the questions really caught me off guard. I thought they would tell me to write about why I chose that country or something simple like that in which I can easily write like 3 page essays or more about, but no that's not it. The application essays states the following:

On a seperate piece of paper, please respond to two of the following essay questions.
1. Describe an individual that you greatly admire. Discuss the qualities that make this person so exceptional.
2. Do you consider music a universal language? If so, why? Explain how you have used music to connect with others.
3. "I have a Dream" is the popular name given to Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech describing his hope for a more tolerant, peaceful society. Please write your own speech entitled "I have a Dream" describing your hope for the future.
4. Describe an ethical or cross-cultural conflict you have experienced and describe how you resolved this situation.

Now I have ideas for all of them. The essays I plan on writing are going to be numbers 2 and 3 and if not 3 then 1. This will take me some time to do, but luckily I have till february 19th I think. So yeah that update is done. Now to explain the title even though you guys already know. I will be away for like a week or so considering my brother will be staying over my place, while my mom is away in Nicaragua. I doubt I'll be on at all [On YIM and games and stuff] considering I'll just be spending time with my brother. Of course I'll be on the computer [no doubt watching the many movies I have downloaded] and will probably try to sneak on YIM once in a while to talk to someone. So yeah. Chao for now o:

1 comment:

Chi said...

xP -skimmed- chi doesn't like essays. guess thats why i always write the bare minimum when they're assigned.